Saturday, October 29, 2011

Finally Playing Standard Again (2-3)

When Innistrad forced out the Zendikar block, I found myself in quite the unenviable position. I don't have a large budget for Magic, and every deck I wanted was at least one to two hundred dollars out of my reach. I had managed to trade for a full set of both Isolated Chapel and Woodland Cemetery to go with several Titans from pre-rotation Birthing Pod and Mono Black lists. With about an hour to fool around before going to Friday Night Magic, I sat down at the computer, opened up my favorite deckbuilding software, and got to work.



Hunter's Moon (Turn 4 Titan meets Solar Flare)

--25 Lands
4 Woodland Cemetery
3 Sunpetal Grove
2 Isolated Chapel
2 Ghost Quarter
7 Forest
4 Swamp
3 Plains

--16 Creatures
3 Viridian Emissary
3 Phyrexian Rager
4 Solemn Simulacrum
2 Grave Titan
2 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Sun Titan
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite

--20 Spells
4 Rampant Growth
3 Beast Within
3 Go For the Throat
3 Oblivion Ring
3 Mulch
2 Unburial Rites
2 Day of Judgement

Sideboard
3 Timely Reingorcements
3 Doom Blade
3 Blade Splicer
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Thrun, the Last Troll
2 Celestial Purge

I didn't manage to take very good notes on any of my matches, as this was more of a fun Deck

R1: Win 2-1 vs RG Werewolves
R2: Win 2-0 vs RU Burning Vengeance
R3: Loss 1-2 vs Red Deck Wins: Mana Flood game 1, he topdecks exactly lethal game 3
R4: Loss 1-2 vs UW Control
R5: Loss 0-2 vs Kessig Green

What I Learned:


  • 25 lands in a ramp deck is far too many, In all actuality the number should be closer to 23.
  • Blade Splicer started out sideboard, but should be in the main. I already have an idea of what I'm going to take out for it, and it should definitely support Sun Titan, which brings me to my next bullet point...
  • The deck definitely wants a second Sun Titan, and more cards to support it. Beast Within is nice, but it doesn't do enough in most matchups. Someone mentioned Dead Weight as a recurring disfigure, and I actually like the idea. 
  • Mulch is a fantastic card with Sun Titan as well, and the two work very well together.
I probably won't make it to Game Day, but I will most likely be taking this to Grand Prix side events. and will be giving it a serious overhaul. EDH season is winding down, which gives me plenty of time to get this up to its potential

Until then I'll just continue to be...
The Scrub Next Door

No comments:

Post a Comment