Friday, June 17, 2011

A Modest Introduction

And away we go, into the ever-expanding pool of Magic Player blogs. I like to think I come at it from a slightly different perspective. But before we get into that, a confession:

My name is David, and I play terrible Magic decks.



Outside of Magic, I'm a 27 year old Mathematics student, who is recovering from several large personal hurdles in rapid succession.

I had played Magic once or twice back in the days of the little bitty swords and shields by the Power/Toughness, and then basically moved on. I only jumped back into playing during the Eventide Launch Party, where I finished with a reasonable 4-5 over the course of 2 Release Events.I drafted a little during Eventide, and when Shards of Alara came out, I jumped into competitive Magic for good.

My best large format finishes are relatively tame:

Constructed: 2009 Regionals- 5-2 with Finest Hour Bant going into the last 2 rounds, went Loss-Loss and finished 5-4 in 63rd place out of 250+

Limited: PTQ Kyoto- another Loss-Loss to end the last 2 rounds at a disappointing 3-4-1, with an amazing sealed pool I completely misbuilt.

I also have a grand total of maybe 6 FNM wins in 3 years... but that's misleading, as I live in San Diego, which has a ridiculous local talent base. Both Constructed and Limited have probably 20 players that can win a given event , and the number of Top 8s in larger qualifiers is finally on the rise.

So why write this blog? Mostly because I feel like chronicling my Magic adventures. Ideally, by keeping track of events, theories, rants and ramblings, I (or someone else) will notice patterns in play that will help me continue improving. Along with this, I do want to improve on a consistent basis, and playing more magic will lead to writing more about magic, and the cycle continues.

Over the course of my writing, I expect to cover multiple formats, and offer my perspective on core magic issues affecting the game. The only format I personally haven't gotten into is Legacy, mostly because of the amount of money required to get a start. Standard, Extended, Modern, Limited, and even Commander will all be fair game, as I dabble in all of them. Hopefully this leads somewhere, but even if it doesn't, it will be at least a way to vent. Remember though, I'm not some magic savant, here to fix all the wrongs in the world. I'm far more normal (relatively speaking) than that.

I'm more like the Scrub Next Door

No comments:

Post a Comment