Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Talking Politics: Overhauling Zedruu EDH

It was a cool summer night last week, full of Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012. Two of my friends and I beat the archenemy campaign start to finish, then I proceeded to unlock Kiora Atua’s entire deck (It’s insane, but that’s another post), taking me through the wee hours of the morning. We had each purchased the game, and the time came to head to our local game store to retrieve our Titans. I, however, had a secret motive. It was Friday, the 17th: Commander Launch Day.

I was still going back and forth which deck I would get the entire car ride. Everyone else I knew who played in the EDH League here was raving about blue. Animar, Damia, Riku, almost every general with a teardrop in the corner was getting loved on. Except one. Zedruu had not had a single mention on other people’s priority list, and I couldn’t tell why. The deck seemed solid, maybe not the value cards of Riku or Damia’s decks. Still it seemed like it’d be easy to pass up, and sure enough, there it was. I traded a few rares and a twenty for the deck, passing on a Japanese version at the last second. After getting it home, the next trick was adding to it until it would at least stand a chance against the other league decks around.



Deck Changes, Round 1:

The Political Puppets deck is the only one to get seriously shortchanged in the mana department, a paltry total of 6 nonbasic lands, so after a trip to the binder, and another to the color printer, we made a few additions

OUT IN
6 Island Original Duals (Tundra / Plateau / Volcanic Island)
3 Mountain Fetches (Flooded Strand / Scalding Tarn / Arid Mesa)
3 Plains Ravnica Duals (Steam Vents / Sacred Foundry / Hallowed Fountain)
Shadowmoor Filters (Cascade Bluffs / Mystic Gate)
Reliquary Tower

With all the cards I draw in this deck, Reliquary Tower seemed like a must-add. Along with that came the thought of adding Nivix, Aerie of the Firemind, which is probably the next card to go in once I figure out the deck’s color balance. I knew I wanted the deck to stay predominantly blue, and I wanted to keep the card draw. Speaking of card draw, quite a few spells found the door. Let’s start with Artifacts and Enchantments


OUT IN
Howling Mine Phyrexian Metamorph
Sol Ring Land Tax
Fellwar Stone Fact or Fiction
Champion's Helm Mnemonic Wall
Prophetic Prism Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Soul Snare Teferi's Moat

The only real stunner here is Sol Ring not making the cut. In this deck, I prefer Land Tax, basically because color fixing trumps mana ramp in this deck. Mnemonic Wall helps because this deck has tons of instants and sorceries, although some of them didn’t make the cut, including the entire set of clash cards.

OUT IN
Punishing Fire Repeal
Lash Out Day of Judgement
Pollen Lullaby White Sun's Zenith
Scattering Stroke See Beyond
Flusterstorm Hinder
Whirlpool Whelm Phyrexian Ingestor
Vision Skeins Kozilek, Butcher of Truth

Flusterstorm is a great card, and it will make me some movey in trade from a legacy player, but for the moment it doesn’t do what I want it to in my meta. There aren’t a lot of storm setups that a hard counter wouldn’t fix. If it gets bad, who knows. Kozilek is part bomb, part library shuffler for all the cards I seem to discard over the course of a match.

Finally I wanted to include a couple packages to help out some creatures in the main deck. With something like 5 walls, and another 4 or 5 1/1 guys, Reveillark was an auto include. With that came Body Double. For the Card drawing half, Niv Mizzet an Phychosis Crawler come in, and Nin, the Pain Artist found a new play buddy to zap with her toys, Swans of Brynn Argoll!

OUT IN
Rapacious One Reveillark
Chromeshell Crab Body Double
Jotun Grunt Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Goblin Cadets Psychosis Crawler
Arbiter of Knollridge Swans of Brynn Argoll

So that wraps up the first 30 changes, and there’s still more I want to add. With all my draw effects, there’s an eventual need to shuffle my graveyard back, where cards like Feldon’s Cane, Elixir of Immortaliy, and Reminisce should find their way in. I also am in a Bribery mood, and might add both the spell and Gwafa Hazid, to keep creatures off my back. I’m going to stick with my Hazezon Tamar (Naya Token Stompy) for League this year, and will have updates on that and more Zedruu tunings in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment